By: Matt Rothman
Parkland’s Drew Wiener was a role model for all the players he had an opportunity to coach.
In 2021, Wiener suddenly passed away; however, Parkland flag football will always recognize him for his work. In his honor, Parkland flag football is handing out $1,000 scholarships to 12 high school juniors and seniors.
Players submitted videos outlining what playing in the league meant to them, what life lessons they would take away to college, and what they would pass on to the kids younger than them who would be in the high school league in the future.
After receiving some creative entries, 12 players were chosen. For the girls, those went to Morgan Goldman and Rebecca Stember.
“Both these girls were instrumental in building this age group and division from scratch,” said President Matt Kaufman. “We literally had no league until they became involved. They are not only sensational human beings but are exceptional athletes. Their videos were stellar.”
Boys were Ty Stevens, Walker Greep, Tripp Davis, Ryan Newman, Zach Goldberg, Dylan Friedland, Cody Anger, Dyland Stettner, and Eli Goffstein.
“Similar to the girls, they built this league a few years ago from scratch,” said Kaufman. “Now all the boys and girls playing will have access to a league when they reach high school age. It allows them to get together with their friends, stay healthy, and avoid trouble.”
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 Award-Winning News Source, Parkland Talk. Don’t miss reading Coral Springs Talk, Margate Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.05.26Coconut Creek Track and Field Competes in States for 1st Time Since 2018
- News2023.05.24North Broward Prep Student Named National Merit Finalist; 3 Seniors Announce College Picks
- News2023.05.05North Broward Prep Varsity and Middle School Baseball Win Championship; Former Star Makes MLB Debut
- News2023.04.213 Local Football Players Announce Commitment; 5 Players Selected to Showcases