By Jill Fox
With just under 17 days until the fourth anniversary of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, the community is encouraged to take time to remember each of the victims in a unique way.
The 17-Day Celebration, created by former MSD student Elizabeth Stout, honors one person each day with a specific act of kindness.
According to The Independent Florida Alligator, Stout, a 22-year-old political science major and the former March For Our Lives Gainesville president, came up with the list to recognize something unique about each person. There’s running for Scott Beigel, dancing for Jaime Guttenberg, and munching on Oreos for Nicholas Dworet. The list concludes with spending Feb. 14 with loved ones.
The community is encouraged to participate in the activities, which appear on social media every year around this time.
Here is the complete list of days and tributes for each person.
Jan. 28 Alyssa Alhadeff: participate in outdoor activities
Jan. 29 Scott Beigel: run, jog, or walk
Jan. 30 Martin Duque Anguiano: watch space movies
Jan. 31 Nicholas Dworet: munch on some Oreos
Feb. 1 Aaron Feis: do a random act of kindness
Feb. 2 Jaime Guttenberg: dance
Feb. 3 Chris Hixon: eat peanut M&M’s
Feb. 4 Luke Hoyer: shoot some hoops
Feb. 5 Cara Loughran: watch a Disney movie
Feb. 6 Gina Montalto: express your artistic capabilities
Feb. 7 Joaquin Oliver: listen to music with headphones
Feb. 8 Alaina Petty: wear purple
Feb. 9 Meadow Pollack: workout
Feb. 10 Helena Ramsay: read
Feb. 11 Alex Schachter: drink a smoothie
Feb. 12 Carmen Schentrup: shop for shoes
Feb. 13 Peter Wang: play video games
Feb. 14 For you: spend the day with loved ones
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- NewsOctober 27, 202212-Year-Old Parkland Girl Fulfills Broadway Dream
- NewsSeptember 20, 2022Beloved Theater Mentor Loses Battle with Cancer
- EventsSeptember 7, 2022Moms ‘Wine Down’ With Some Mah Jongg and Mingling
- NewsAugust 19, 2022Beloved Theater Mentor Gets Support From Community During Cancer Battle