By Sharon Aron Baron
The Broward County School Board voted on Dec. 31 to amend the policy and require vendors and visitors to wear face coverings while indoors in any District school, facility, or vehicle beginning Monday, Jan. 3, 2022.
Students, although not required to wear face coverings due to a recent state law, and employees are strongly encouraged to do so, according to the media release from BCPS.
Due to the recent surge in COVID-19 cases driven by the highly contagious omicron variant, the school board discussed Policy 2170.
The new state law that went into effect on Nov. 18, 2021, does not allow school districts to require face coverings for students or for school districts to use an ‘opt-out’ provision.
Additionally, students may not be separated based on the use of face coverings. School districts cannot provide intermittent virtual school options to students due to the Florida Department of Education’s emergency orders expiring this past summer.
“We are grateful to our parents, guardians, and caregivers for their strong consideration and support in sending their children to school next week with face coverings. We are also thankful to our employees for wearing face coverings while at work,” said Broward County Public Schools Interim Superintendent Dr. Vickie L. Cartwright.
She added the district would continue to take the advice of local health officials and follow guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as it evaluates and adjusts COVID-19 health and safety protocols. “BCPS will continue to work with our partners to assist our students, with parent permission, and employees to have access to vaccines and tests.”
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- NewsDecember 4, 2023Free “Evening of Elegance” Celebration Held in Coconut Creek
- NewsDecember 1, 2023Broward County Schools Opens 2024/25 School Choice Options
- NewsNovember 28, 2023Coconut Creek Senior Expo Connects Community with Valuable Resources and Support
- NewsNovember 26, 2023Celebrate the World’s Winter Traditions at Coconut Creek’s Holiday Cultures of Winter Event