By Ryan Yousefi
A man was arrested and charged with multiple crimes, including felony assault with a deadly weapon, after punching his ex-girlfriend in the face as she slept.
On February 9, the Coconut Creek Police Department responded to an emergency domestic violence involving a victim who had been assaulted and feared for her life.
According to the arrest report, Cedarien Camper, 22, of Lauderhill, was arrested and charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, domestic violence, resisting a police officer, and multiple probation violations.
The report says the victim told officers Camper hit her in the face while she was sleeping, allegedly because he had found materials on her phone as she slept that angered him. The victim told police after tussling with Camper; she was able to break free to exit the home and call 911.
Upon the police’s arrival at the scene, the report says Camper barricaded himself inside the residence, refusing to come out despite repeated requests. As a result, the SWAT team was called in to negotiate with Camper.
After several hours of negotiations, Camper exited the residence and was taken into custody.
The arrest report says the victim was uncooperative initially, but a fresh bloody scratch on her face near her nose indicated that she had been physically assaulted.
Upon interview, the victim later told officers Camper had gone through her phone while she was sleeping and had found something he didn’t like. This led to him hitting her in the face with a closed fist.
The report indicates a recording of the 911 call received from the victim appears to feature her speaking in a subdued tone, possibly to prevent Camper from hearing her.
As part of the arrest report, officers highlighted the victim responding “mmh hmm,” to the dispatcher when asked if Camper had a gun or a knife. She also indicated that Camper had threatened her that day.
Camper was placed under arrest and transported to the Broward County Main Jail. In October. 2022, he was arrested for violation of probation for carrying a concealed firearm and for fleeing police.
Got News in Coconut Creek? Send it Here. Keep reading NW Broward County’s #1 News Sites: Parkland Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, Coral Springs Talk, Margate Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- News2023.03.22The City of Coconut Creek is Accepting Applications for Summer Camp Counselors
- News2023.03.20Join the Ranks: Broward County Schools Seek Military Veterans to Shape the Future as Teachers
- News2023.03.18“What If I Kill You Both?” Evicted Man Charged With Attempted Murder After Brutally Stabbing 2 Women
- News2023.03.01‘I’ll Break You Face’: Man Arrested After Breaking Into Ex-Wife’s Home By Smashing Glassdoor