By: Matt Rothman
On Thursday, it was a memorable evening in Parkland with the Marjory Stoneman Douglas baseball team, who recognized ten of their seniors.
The players were all a part of the Eagles’ incredible run to win a State and National Championship victory in 2021. Nine of the ten seniors are currently committed to playing in college: Maddox Raley, Cameron Harris, Grant McDonald, Sammy Beir, Santiago Ordonez, Eduardo Fuentes, Chris Arroyo, Roman Anthony, Jake Clemente, and Brandon White.
“They are a great group a guys happy to be part of it special for what they have done over the past two seasons,” said Head Coach Todd Fitz-Gerald. “Great to honor your seniors, especially ones that believe in what you do; great kids, great team, great families.”
The Eagles went on to win 5-0 against Gulliver Preparatory School. Arroyo, who won the MVP for MSD in the High School Baseball Invitational earlier this month, picked up the win on the mound with five scoreless innings. He also earned his seventh win of the season, with Christian Rodiguez recording the final six outs.
All of the Eagles’ runs came in the third, with Rylan Lujo knocking in two with a single while Harris, Clemente, and Nikko Benestad recorded RBIs.
MSD moved to 23-2 on the season and will be the top team in the District Tournament. The Eagles will have a bye in the opening round before playing the winner of Coral Glades and Deerfield Beach High School before potentially a rematch against J.P. Taravella High School in the final.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsDecember 2, 2023Coconut Creek and Monarch Face-Off in Soccer; Basketball Season Begins
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Coconut Creek High School’s Football Team Incredible Season Ends in Regional Final
- NewsNovember 17, 2023Coconut Creek Football Highlights Incredible Week to Advance to Regional Championship
- NewsNovember 11, 2023Coconut Creek Football Wins Playoff Opener; Soccer Teams Begin Season