By Matt Rothman
Whether it is varsity or junior varsity, all of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas girls soccer teams continue their winning streaks.
With both teams in action on Thursday against West Boca Raton Community High School, they picked up victories. They have a combined record of 13-0-2 this year after the varsity squad won 2-1 and the JV team won 5-2.
It was a battle for the varsity team early on after MSD allowed the opening score. However, they managed to receive goals from Kendall Slack and Layla Segelnick to come away with a 2-1 win.
“It’s a great group of young ladies who enjoy each other’s company and work hard for each other, and are very coachable,” said Head Coach Laura Rountree.
Next, the varsity team will return to the field on Tuesday, January 11, when they face Coral Glades at 5 p.m.
For the JV team, the Eagles scored five goals after Adrianna Hinostroza recorded two. Kourtney Slack and Ayla Sachs both had a goal and an assist, and Carly Rogalla found the back of the net as well. The two goals allowed by the Eagles were the first ones they have surrendered all season.
“I’ve been most proud of my team’s adaptability and shape,” said Head Coach Jai Pandit. “They always figure out how to be in the right places and they make the game look really simple. They figure things out independently or even with a little guidance from myself.”
The JV team plays Cooper City and Nova High School on Saturday, January 8.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsDecember 2, 2023Coconut Creek and Monarch Face-Off in Soccer; Basketball Season Begins
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Coconut Creek High School’s Football Team Incredible Season Ends in Regional Final
- NewsNovember 17, 2023Coconut Creek Football Highlights Incredible Week to Advance to Regional Championship
- NewsNovember 11, 2023Coconut Creek Football Wins Playoff Opener; Soccer Teams Begin Season