By Kevin Deutsch
A Coconut Creek woman in her 70s recently fell victim to a romance scammer, police said.
The scammer took advantage of the “lonely” victim after introducing himself to her through her Pinterest account, according to Coconut Creek Police. After his introduction, the man spent the next few months “gaining her confidence, telling her he loved her, and of course asking her for money,” according to a Facebook post by the police department.
The scammer claimed he worked on an oil rig and asked for gift cards, which the victim purchased for him, police said. Police characterized the man’s criminal activity as “the romance scam.”
The investigation into the scam is ongoing, and no arrests have been made, according to Coconut Creek Police spokesman Scotty Leamon.
“Remember that anyone asking you to go buy them gift cards always means it’s a scam,” police wrote.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- NewsFebruary 13, 2024Coconut Creek Man Targeted in Online Sexual Extortion Scam
- NewsFebruary 9, 2024Romance Scammer Cons Coconut Creek Woman
- NewsJanuary 17, 2024Motorcycle Stolen From Coconut Creek Recovered in Miami
- NewsJanuary 14, 2024Pedestrian Killed by Car in Coconut Creek