This article was previously published and is being featured as one of many of our top stories for 2023.
By: Matt Rothman
Diego Maldonado, a Coconut Creek High School student, has officially announced that he will play college soccer at Berkeley College in New Jersey.
“I feel very happy that I am officially committed to Berkeley College because it was a dream to play college, and now I have the chance to play,” Maldonado said.
Maldonado started playing soccer when he was four and has played for the City of North Lauderdale Recreational League, Silver Lakes Middle School, B-Elite Soccer Academy, Coral Springs Soccer Academy, Inter Florida FC, and the Coconut Creek High School varsity soccer team. The Cougars won nine games while he scored three goals and had five assists.
When deciding where to play, Maldonado said he wanted to find a really successful team. Berkeley College checked that box after winning 12 games a season ago and 14 in 2021. Before playing in college, he hopes to improve his weak foot, shooting, awareness, long balls, defending, and positioning.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsFebruary 15, 20242-Time State Champion A.J. Cutler Makes College Pick
- NewsFebruary 7, 2024Coconut Creek High Wraps Up Winter Sports Season; Eye Success in the Spring
- NewsFebruary 4, 2024Monarch High School Cheerleading Team Places 3rd in State Championship
- NewsFebruary 2, 2024North Broward Prep Athletic Update: Girls Soccer Wins Districts, Historic Senior Night For Abelleira & More