By: Matt Rothman
Coconut Creek High School is set to return in 2024 with a number of varsity teams competing. This includes the cheerleading team, who will be competing in the District Championship.
Boys basketball fell in their two games, losing 81-38 against Charles W. Flanagan High School and 67-58 against Pompano Beach High School. The Cougars are 2-12 this year and will face McArthur High School on Tuesday, January 16 at 7 p.m. The Mustangs came in with a record of 5-10 and lost 62-29 in their last game.
Girls basketball moved back over .500 with two wins in their three games. The Lady Cougars lost 52-12 against Deerfield Beach High School but responded with a 58-18 c victory over Plantation High School.
Tessan Parchment finished with 21 points, Devonique Thompson scored 14, and Abigail Theopile scored 10. Coconut Creek beat Pompano Beach 70-49, with Theopile scoring 30 and Thompson and Parchment combing for 24.
The Lady Cougars will play games this week against McArthur and Everglades High School, facing a pair of teams they lost to last year. The Mustangs are 12-5 this year, while the Gators are 2-7.
Boys soccer also counted their strong season with two wins in their three games. After Cherri Brown scored the only goal in a 3-1 loss against Fort Lauderdale High School on January 8, the Cougars responded with wins over Northeast and Hallandale High School, outscoring their opponents 5-1. Brown scored two more goals on assists from Wickenson Alexandre in their win over the Hurricanes.
Cameron Henery, Schwelle Joseph, and Alexandre then scored against the Charges, with Tchenco Rodriguez adding an assist. The Cougars will play their final two games of the season this week, facing Stranahan High School on Wednesday, January 17, at 7 p.m. before facing McArthur High School the next at 6 p.m., looking to build on their 6-4-2 record.
Girls soccer finished the regular season winless but did record their second tie in a 2-2 game against Northeast High School. The Lady Cougars scored two first-half goals but allowed two in the second half before falling 5-0 against Hallandale High School in their final game of the regular season.
The cheerleading team competed in the District Championship in the small non-tumbling division against Coral Springs High School, Cooper City, Miramar, and South Broward High School. They will have their following completion in Regionals on Friday, January 19, at Coral Glades High School.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsFebruary 15, 20242-Time State Champion A.J. Cutler Makes College Pick
- NewsFebruary 7, 2024Coconut Creek High Wraps Up Winter Sports Season; Eye Success in the Spring
- NewsFebruary 4, 2024Monarch High School Cheerleading Team Places 3rd in State Championship
- NewsFebruary 2, 2024North Broward Prep Athletic Update: Girls Soccer Wins Districts, Historic Senior Night For Abelleira & More