By Sharon Aron Baron
The School Board of Broward County unanimously approved an employment agreement with Dr. Peter B. Licata, marking his official appointment as the Superintendent of Broward County Public Schools (BCPS) on Tuesday.
Dr. Licata, who emerged from a national pool of candidates, is set to helm the sixth-largest school district in the nation and the second-largest in Florida.
Before the board’s vote, Licata was a teacher, coach, curriculum director, assistant principal, and principal in Palm Beach County. He was also an assistant superintendent and regional superintendent in the county, where he oversaw 60 schools and 65,000 students, according to his application.
“Today’s School Board decision signifies the end of our formal process for selecting a new transformational leader,” said Lori Alhadeff, the Chair of the School Board. “We look forward to working with Dr. Licata to ensure our students receive the world-class education they deserve.”
The freshly minted Superintendent expressed gratitude for the opportunity to serve the Broward County School District.
“I am grateful to the Broward County School Board for the opportunity to serve this District and its students, families, staff, and community members,” said Superintendent Licata. “My goal is for Broward County Public Schools to be known as a District that is student-centered, teacher-supported, and principal-led, and I’m excited to get started.”
As outlined in the contract agreement, Dr. Licata has immediately begun his tenure as Superintendent.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- NewsSeptember 29, 2023Feeling Lucky? Powerball Jackpot Surges to $960 Million
- NewsSeptember 27, 2023Coconut Creek Launches Pickleball Leagues This Fall
- NewsSeptember 23, 2023Coconut Creek’s Hometown Market Returns on October 7
- NewsSeptember 19, 2023Meet Grace and Kona: Pets Who Need Forever Homes at the Humane Society of Broward County