By: Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas boys basketball team picked up their 15th victory on Thursday, coming off back-to-back wins to start the week.
On senior night, the Eagles defeated Coconut Creek High School 75-37 as Diego Rodriguez, Brandon GoPaul, Vitor Tavares, Wesley Aerulus, and Sean Sucarichi were all honored.
Head Coach Teddy Lyons says these seniors are special players and great students who have bought in the last three years.
“We hugged all of them tonight and told them how much we love them,” Said Coach Lyons. The future is bright for all five of these guys. I’m praying all of these guys to stay healthy and that they meet the goals they want to meet this season.”
Between Rodriguez, GoPaul, Sean Sucarichi, and Aerulus, they combined for 50 points as the Eagles have now won five in a row and 15 of their last 16 games.
The Eagles previously beat North Miami Beach High School in the final game of the Martin Luther King Showcase on Monday before Sucharichi hit a game-winning shot on Wednesday against Hallandale High School.
With Coach Lyons away from the team against Hallandale, Assistant Coach Jason Sucharichi stepped in to lead the Eagles.
“I don’t know if there’s a better and more dedicated assistant coach in this county,” Coach Lyons said. “Jason and I are like real brothers. We fight sometimes, but we have each other’s back. I’m not sure I’d still be coaching here if not for him. I’m proud of him and our team for going out and winning over a pretty good team.”
2022 CG @SeanSucarichi with the tough game winner!! 14-3 Go Eagles!! pic.twitter.com/K1RntfBPFR
— Stoneman Douglas Basketball (@Msdhoops) January 20, 2022
Next, MSD will have a week off before they face Blanche Ely High School on Thursday, January 27 at 7:30 p.m. This year, the Tigers are currently 4-8 and will be playing the Eagles for the first time since their 80-31 during the 2017-18 season.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.05.26Coconut Creek Track and Field Competes in States for 1st Time Since 2018
- News2023.05.24North Broward Prep Student Named National Merit Finalist; 3 Seniors Announce College Picks
- News2023.05.05North Broward Prep Varsity and Middle School Baseball Win Championship; Former Star Makes MLB Debut
- News2023.04.213 Local Football Players Announce Commitment; 5 Players Selected to Showcases