By Kevin Deutsch
The Broward Sheriff’s Office Threat Management Unit is investigating an incident involving a possible threat made to students outside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, authorities said.
On Tuesday, MSD students on social media reported seeing a man screaming outside the school gates, referencing an event people would see “on the news” in “two days.”
“The Broward Sheriff’s Office is aware of this information and the Threat Management Unit is investigating,” BSO Senior Public Information Officer Carey Codd said in response to an inquiry from Parkland Talk Wednesday. “Appropriate measures are being taken to safeguard the school.”
MSD principal Michelle Kefford sent out an email to parents Wednesday suggesting the incident was not a serious concern, stating:
“We have received several calls regarding inaccurate information circulating on social media related to an alleged threat made to MSD. This stems from a person observed walking on a public sidewalk near the school last evening. I want to assure you that this individual did not attempt to access or enter our campus nor did he make a threat to the school.”
Kefford said the incident was “reported to law enforcement last evening and has been investigated.”
“Please know if there is a concern or threat to our campus, I will communicate that with our families, as safety is always our top priority.”
Security at MSD has been heightened and threats there investigated more thoroughly since a mass shooting at the school left 17 people dead and 17 survivors wounded by gunfire on Valentine’s Day 2018.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- NewsDecember 2, 20232023 Holiday of Lights Caravan Coming to Coconut Creek
- NewsNovember 28, 2023Wrong-Way Crash Kills Coconut Creek Man
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Monarch High School Principal, Staffers Reassigned Amid Sports Probe
- NewsJuly 8, 2023Tragic Loss: Help Solve the Senseless Killing of Coconut Creek High School Student