By: Matt Rothman
With the District Championship approaching, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas boys and girls track and field team competed in the Blanche Ely Tri-Meet #5 Wednesday on Senior Night.
The boy’s team recognized Tumaini Buchell and Deandre Mofford, with the Eagles finished second with 136.5 points, 13 points behind Blanche Ely High School. MSD came in first place in the 4 x 400 relay race with Andres Abreu, Alex Black, Jasiah Clapp, and Mofford. The Eagles also came in second in the 4 x 800 relay and fourth in the 4 x 100 relay race.
MSD also had Jordan Holness finish second in the 3200 meters and Marcale Saunders in the high jump. He was followed by Emery Jackson and Julian Moncayo, who tied for third. James Bronzwaig also finished third in the shot put.
Deandre Mofford, Lucas Marrinick, and Marcale Saunders finished fourth in their individual events, while Robert Peart, Alex Black, Vasco Velarde, and Devaun D’Haiti.
The girls recognized Sabrina Acevedo, Sofia Cifuentes, Sophie Etchevers, Jayah Portis, and Erica Wilczek while recording 187.5 points to place first.
Ne’Rya Vassell and Jayah Portis each had a great night winning two events. Vassel ran the 100 hurdles and the high jump, while Portis finished first in the long and triple jumps.
MSD also won the 4 x 100 relay with Acevedo, Naomi Grissette, Jamie Faust, and Hannah Arnett. Arianna Abreu, Olivia Zeff, Addison Krajczewski, and Vassell placed first in the 4 x 400 relay, with Abreu, Grace MacKenzie, Zeff, and Mikayla Ryan winning the 4 x 800 relay.
Other notable performances came from Sabrina Acevedo, who finished second in the 100 meters. MacKenzie also came in second in the 800 meters and the 100 hurdles, while Maribelle Jonca placed second in the high jump. Naomi Grissette, Jeanelle Jonca, Mikayla Ryan, Morgan Melchiorri, Erin Nixon, Salome Bandres, and Ami Douglas came in the top five.
The Eagles now turn their attention to the District Championship held at Coral Springs High School on Tuesday, April 19.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.05.26Coconut Creek Track and Field Competes in States for 1st Time Since 2018
- News2023.05.24North Broward Prep Student Named National Merit Finalist; 3 Seniors Announce College Picks
- News2023.05.05North Broward Prep Varsity and Middle School Baseball Win Championship; Former Star Makes MLB Debut
- News2023.04.213 Local Football Players Announce Commitment; 5 Players Selected to Showcases