By: Matt Rothman
It was quite a week for Marjory Stoneman Douglas football teams, with both varsity and junior varsity picking up wins.
The MSD varsity team continues its tremendous mid-season run with a third straight victory. The Eagles move to 4-3 and, after recording back-to-back shutouts the past two weeks, allowed only six points in their 41-6 win on Friday. They have outscored their opponents 107-6 during their winning streak and are right back in contention to make the postseason for a fourth straight season.
“Defense has played lights out the past three weeks,” said Head Coach Quentin Short. “I’m very proud of their effort. They are really flying around and playing hard.”
The only touchdown the defense allowed came after MSD could not convert a fake punt leaving the Cobras with a short field to work with. Offensively, Clayton Cannon Jr. scored three touchdowns, with two coming on the ground and one through the air. Ben Mccullars scored twice, while Justin Spano had one.
Next, MSD will head on the road to face South Broward High School on Thursday, Oct. 20, at 7 p.m. The Bulldogs are 5-1 this year with wins over Piper, Hallandale, Dr. Krop, West Broward, and McArthur High School. This will be the first meeting between these teams since a 23-6 victory for MSD in 2018.
The Eagles JV team played against Coral Glades and defeated them 22-14 for their first win of the season on Wednesday.
Xavier Velez recorded two rushing touchdowns, while Takim Labaar had one. Christiano Blake and Meguerson Renulus were both terrific at leading the defense. Next, MSD will face Pahokee High School on Wednesday, Oct. 19, at 6 p.m.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 Award-Winning News Source, Parkland Talk. Don’t miss reading Coral Springs Talk, Margate Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.05.26Coconut Creek Track and Field Competes in States for 1st Time Since 2018
- News2023.05.24North Broward Prep Student Named National Merit Finalist; 3 Seniors Announce College Picks
- News2023.05.05North Broward Prep Varsity and Middle School Baseball Win Championship; Former Star Makes MLB Debut
- News2023.04.213 Local Football Players Announce Commitment; 5 Players Selected to Showcases