By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas’s softball team began their season with an impressive win over American Heritage School on Thursday.
In her first game with the Eagles, Jeysne Espinal picked up the win on the mound, pitching a complete game, allowing only two runs, and striking out five.
It was a surreal experience, Espinal says, after all the hard work the team has put in during the fall and the spring.
“On the mound, I was focusing on winning each pitch, keeping the hitters off-balance, staying focused, and making every pitch competitive,” Espinal said.
MSD scored a pair of runs in the first after loading the bases. Bianca Guerra then brought two runs in after a miscue from American Heritage School. Epinal gave up a homer in the third but responded with a two-run double in the fifth to make it 4-1. MSD tacked on one more after an RBI single from Evelyn Patton.
“Our team this year has solid pitching, and we are taking quality at-bats,” said Head Coach Brian Staubly. “We have great team chemistry. First game back, but hopefully it will give them a lot of confidence for the rest of the year.”
The Eagles are coming off a season where they went 7-5, including a 16-1 win over Santaluces High School in the postseason. MSD will play 17 more games this year with a team consisting of many freshmen and sophomores.
Next, the Eagles will face off against Fort Lauderdale High School on Tuesday, February 28, at 6:30 p.m.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.05.26Coconut Creek Track and Field Competes in States for 1st Time Since 2018
- News2023.05.24North Broward Prep Student Named National Merit Finalist; 3 Seniors Announce College Picks
- News2023.05.05North Broward Prep Varsity and Middle School Baseball Win Championship; Former Star Makes MLB Debut
- News2023.04.213 Local Football Players Announce Commitment; 5 Players Selected to Showcases