By Kevin Deutsch
A new indoor pickleball facility opened June 17 at Broward College’s North Campus in Coconut Creek, officials said.
In a move to leverage underused space and generate income, the college partnered with tennis company Diadem Sports to turn the Omni Auditorium into a state-of-the-art pickleball facility, college officials said.
The space houses nine tournament-level pickleball courts accommodating 54 players and offers programming for all skill levels.
The facility also features stadium-height ceilings, arena-style lighting, on-site food and beverage options, and merchandise stores. Visitors can participate in private instruction, group play, themed nights, and tournaments organized by skill level.
“This public-private partnership is one more example of how Broward College embraces opportunities to enhance the lives of our students, faculty, staff, and the broader community,” said Broward College President Gregory Adam Haile. “Pickleball has become a tremendously popular sport, and we are happy to make it accessible to players at every level, within the College and beyond.”
Pickleball, a combination of tennis, badminton, and squash, has exploded in popularity in recent years. The Sports and Fitness Industry Association states that sports participation has grown by 158 percent over the last three years.
The facility will be open seven days a week, from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., offering memberships and drop-in daily rates as low as $5.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- NewsJuly 8, 2023Tragic Loss: Help Solve the Senseless Killing of Coconut Creek High School Student
- NewsJuly 7, 2023Woman Reports Sexual Assault and Robbery at Fern Forest Nature Center
- SportsJune 20, 2023New Pickleball Facility Opens in Coconut Creek
- NewsJune 15, 2023Homeless Encampment Unveils Mysterious Human Remains in Coconut Creek