By Jill Fox
“Parkland Flag Football has awoken from their six-month hibernation, and they are back with a vengeance,” according to Board President Matt Kaufman.
Registration is now open for the fall season of Parkland Flag football. Evaluations will take place at Pine Trails Park during the week of August 14, and all players other than kindergarteners will be placed on a team through the draft.
Kaufman relayed good news to parents via email: “Field 3 is going to be made into turf this summer. This means less rainouts and more games for the kids.”
Also, new this year, he announced the addition of the Drew Wiener Scholarship. Wiener, who passed away last summer, was a Parkland parent and volunteer flag football coach.
“We felt that in his honor, we will offer $1,000 to a player in the boys high school and a player in the girls high school league,” said Kaufman. “This way, his name lives on at the fields, and his family knows how much he means to all of us at Parkland Flag.”
The youngest league includes all girls and boys entering kindergarten in August 2022. Other leagues include all girls and boys in the following age groups: 7 to 9, 10 to 11, 12 to 14 (middle school in August 2022), and attending high school in August 2022).
Back by popular demand for the second year is a co-ed 6 to 7-year-old league. Girls in first grade are encouraged to sign up in this division, or they can choose to play in the girls 7 to 9-year-old division.
The cost for the season is $175, which includes a uniform. Sibling discounts are available. Athletes living outside of Parkland are welcome to play but will be charged an additional fee by the city. Register at parklandflag.com.
The organization is also searching for coaches and volunteers. Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- NewsOctober 27, 202212-Year-Old Parkland Girl Fulfills Broadway Dream
- NewsSeptember 20, 2022Beloved Theater Mentor Loses Battle with Cancer
- EventsSeptember 7, 2022Moms ‘Wine Down’ With Some Mah Jongg and Mingling
- NewsAugust 19, 2022Beloved Theater Mentor Gets Support From Community During Cancer Battle