By: Matt Rothman
Coconut Creek High School had a busy week of sports, preparing for a couple of big-time matchups against Monarch High School.
The Coconut Creek boys basketball team is still searching for their first win, falling in their only game this past week on December 11. McKvena Ball, though, did score 23 points, while Fabrini Labrassere added 10.
Hinselee Prospere and Jaylen Hamm combined for 14 for a team now 0-5. The Cougars are set to play Nova High School on Tuesday, December 19, before their matchup against Monarch on Thursday, December 21, at 7:30 p.m.
The Knights are 3-6 this year and lost games against Plantation and Cypress Bay High School. They previously had wins this year against McArthur, Hollywood Hills, and Pompano Beach High School, led by Cody Dinell, averaging 15.1 points per game.
Kensey Bewley ranks second with 9.1 points, while A.J. Hairston is back playing after his run with the varsity football team.
The Coconut Creek girls basketball team is 4-4 this year and recorded a win against Coral Glades 49-32. Abigail Theopile finished with a game-high 25 points, while Devonique Thompson added 10. Keisha Julot, Jayleen Flores, Tessan Parchment, and Ma’Kylah Menard scored in the game before the Lady Cougars fell 65-21 against Cardinal Gibbons High School.
Parchment, Menard, and Juliet all had five points in the game, and they will now play the Lady Knights on Thursday, December 21, at 6 p.m.
Monarch is 1-7 this year and had their first win against Plantation High School on December 12. The Lady Knights won 37-32 before falling to53-8 against Plantation High School on December 14.
The Coconut Creek boys soccer team beat Hollywood Hills High School 3-2 on December 12 for their fourth win of the season. Cameron Henery scored two goals, with Dickinson Alexandre also finding the back of the net, while Cehari Brown had four shots on goal.
The Cougars fell 4-0 against Deerfield Beach High School the following day, while the girls soccer team remained winless in seven games. They have only scored two goals all season and will start a doubleheader on Monday, December 18, against Miramar High School at 4 p.m., followed by the boys.
Monarch High School is 6-4-1 this season but has not won since December 6, while the girls team is 2-9 this year. They beat Deerfield Beach High School 8-0 in their first game before beating Coconut Creek High School 8-0 on November 29.
Next, both teams are set to play Plantation High School on Wednesday, December 20, with the girls starting at 4 p.m.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsFebruary 15, 20242-Time State Champion A.J. Cutler Makes College Pick
- NewsFebruary 7, 2024Coconut Creek High Wraps Up Winter Sports Season; Eye Success in the Spring
- NewsFebruary 4, 2024Monarch High School Cheerleading Team Places 3rd in State Championship
- NewsFebruary 2, 2024North Broward Prep Athletic Update: Girls Soccer Wins Districts, Historic Senior Night For Abelleira & More