By: Matt Rothman
Facing off against Marjory Stoneman Douglas for the third time this season, the Monarch High School boys soccer team beat the Eagles 2-1 on Wednesday,
Despite being the higher seed, the Knights also advanced to the Regional Semifinals with their 12th win of the season. Monarch beat MSD in the season-opening game and defeated them in the District Final, where the Knights won their second straight District Championship.
MSD had a 1-0 lead until the Knights scored a pair of goals in the final seven minutes from Noah Oritz and Joseph Magallanes. Despite feeling they were outplayed for most of the match, Head Coach Eric Swickle is thankful to continue the season.
“Many of the kids from both teams are teammates with the MSD players, and they love competing against each other,” he said. “It was just an overall grind, and the team with more heart won the game.”
Next, Monarch will face top-seeded Doral Academy in the Regional Semifinals on Saturday, Feb. 11, at 7 p.m. The Firebirds went 9-3-4 this year and beat Coral Reef High School in the opening round.
Got News in Coconut Creek? Send it Here. Keep reading NW Broward County’s #1 News Sites: Parkland Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, Coral Springs Talk, Margate Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.03.19Coconut Creek and Monarch Compete in BCAA Track and Field Championship
- News2023.03.17North Broward Prep Tennis Teams Combine For 9 Early Season Wins
- News2023.03.17North Broward Prep’s Alex Wigginton Makes College Pick
- News2023.03.13Michael Frederick’s Overtime Goal Lifts Florida Junior Panthers to State Championship