By Sharon Aron Baron
Broward County Public Schools (BCPS) has announced that students can only carry clear backpacks and bags on school campuses as of August 21, 2023, the first day of the 2023/24 school year.
This measure, which applies to all grades from pre-K – 12, is being added as an additional layer of security to the District’s ongoing safety and security efforts.
The decision was made to provide safe learning environments conducive to student learning.
BCPS Interim Superintendent, Earlean C. Smiley, stated that “This added layer of security is a game-changer. It will allow school security personnel and everyone on campus to quickly spot and report if someone has brought a prohibited item to school, and it will also help serve as a deterrent.”
The new policy will only permit clear, see-through backpacks and bags, which include lunch boxes, purses, duffel bags, and fanny packs. Mesh and colored backpacks will not be allowed, even if they are transparent. However, a small non-transparent pouch for personal hygiene items, thermal food containers carried inside clear lunch boxes, school-approved sport-specific carrying cases for athletic equipment, and school-approved instrument-specific carrying cases for band equipment will be permitted.
The policy will not apply to teachers, staff, volunteers, or visitors. The BCPS is implementing this proactive measure to ensure students’ safety and security and make it easier to identify and report prohibited items.
Got News in Coconut Creek? Send it Here. Keep reading NW Broward County’s #1 News Sites: Parkland Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, Coral Springs Talk, Margate Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2023.05.16Coconut Creek Unveils Thrilling Touch-A-Truck Extravaganza for 2023
- News2023.05.16Gallop into Adventure: Join Spitfire Farm Horse Camp for an Unforgettable Summer
- Events2023.05.16Coconut Creek Empowers Youth Voices Through 2023 Teen Political Forum
- News2023.05.08Coconut Creek Launches Recreational Cheer Program for Children and Teens