By: Matt Rothman
Coconut Creek had another terrific week, with the football team advancing to the Regional Final following their 24-17 win over West Boca Raton Community High School on Friday.
The Cougars won 21-14 behind a tremendous rushing attack. Jamarie Hostzclaw scored the opening touchdown by running into the end zone. Jordan Thompson later scored the second touchdown, followed by Hostzclaw scoring again, which gave Coconut Creek a 21-14 lead in the third quarter. The Cougars added a field goal and won the game by seven points.
Next, they will play St. Thomas Aquinas High School in the Regional Final on Friday, November 24, at 7 p.m. The Raiders rank 10th in the nation and come in as the top seed in the Region. They had wins over Plantation and Blanche Ely High School in their first two playoff games, outscoring their opponents 103-6.
The boys soccer team is 1-1 on the season, with their win against Piper High School. They previously fell to Coral Glades in their first game. On the other hand, the girls’ team hasn’t secured any wins in their first two games. Both teams will play against Monarch High School on November 29, with the boys’ game starting at 5 p.m. and the girls’ game starting at 7 p.m. Both teams will return to the field on November 29 against Monarch High School, with the boys starting at 5 p.m. and the girls playing at 7 p.m.
Coconut Creek had a pair of volleyball players in Rosa Cuellar and Nejma Robinson, compete in the BCAA All-Star Game. The Cougars went 9-4 in the regular season before falling to Deerfield Beach High School in the opening round of the postseason. Coconut Creek’s cheerleading team competition with Coral Springs High School and Monarch wasn’t cancelled on Thursday.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsDecember 2, 2023Coconut Creek and Monarch Face-Off in Soccer; Basketball Season Begins
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Coconut Creek High School’s Football Team Incredible Season Ends in Regional Final
- NewsNovember 17, 2023Coconut Creek Football Highlights Incredible Week to Advance to Regional Championship
- NewsNovember 11, 2023Coconut Creek Football Wins Playoff Opener; Soccer Teams Begin Season